Best Toys for Dogs Who Chew
Dogs like to chew on things. It’s a normal behavior and can be relaxing for dogs. According to the ASPCA, dogs chew for a variety of reasons. Stimulation, anxiety suppressor, and just for fun are a few of these reasons. The key to keeping these habits to a non-destructive minimum begins with providing your dog with the right toys. After all, you don’t want to lose your favorite pair of shoes or a piece of furniture to an unruly chewer.
Best Toys for Aggressive Chewers
Some dogs are more aggressive chewers than others. Finding the right indestructible toy can be a pain. You may feel at a loss when you think a toy might last, but is destroyed within minutes from your pup. Large dogs tend to be the biggest offenders when it comes to this issue. Lucky for you though, we’ve gathered a list of our favorite, top three, durable dog toys for aggressive chewers.
- West Paw Zogoflex Hurley Tough Dog Chew Toy – Built for tough chewers, this chew toy acts as a ball, bone and stick all in one! As an added bonus, it floats and is made in the USA!
- KONG Extreme Rubber Ball Dog Toy – Made from natural, durable rubber, this dog ball is a great choice for extreme fetch and chew sessions. You can also add treats inside the KONG to keep your pup interested even more. KONG products are also made in the USA.
- Goughnuts Maxx 50 Ring – This chew ring is extremely tough and can give aggressive chewers the relief that they need. Goughnuts also have a built-in safety feature that is very helpful. The outer layer of the ring is black and the inner layer is red. When the red color begins to show, this is a sign that it needs to be replaced. If your dog does expose the red layer, you can send it back to the manufacturer and they will replace it for free. This toy is also made in America!
While no dog toy is completely indestructible, we hope these options can help your aggressive chewer.
Best Toys for Teething Puppies
We all know about the dreaded puppy dog teeth. They’re like little needles when a puppy wants to play. Puppies begin to push their teeth through around 4 months and, just like a baby, it hurts. To reduce the discomfort of this, they tend to chew a lot. Training your puppy to chew on the right toys instead of household items (or even your arm) is a great habit to start. Below are a few, great options of toys for teething puppies.
- KONG Puppy Dog Toy – Just like the KONG toy mentioned above, this puppy toy is made from all natural rubber. The odd shape of the toy allows for it to bounce at unpredictable angles, keeping your puppy engaged. Adding in frozen treats or food into the KONG is another great way to soothe those growing teeth.
- Nylabone Teething Pacifier Puppy Chew Toy – Great for small dogs, this teething pacifier is a great choice when encouraging healthy chewing habits in your puppy.
- Benebone Bacon Flavor Tough Puppy Chew Toy – This puppy pack comes with two uniquely designed chew bones–a dental chew with cleaning ridges and an easy-grip wishbone. These Benebones include real, USA bacon flavor that will keep your puppy wanting to chew more.
Remember to supervise your puppy while they chew on these toys and to throw away any toys if they begin to break into pieces or could be a potential choking hazard.
Best Toys for Playing Fetch
The KONG Classic Flyer Dog Toy is a great, durable option when playing fetch with your dog. The shape is made to glide easier through the air and the flexible rubber is gentle on the dog’s gums when catching. Another fetch toy is the RUFF DAWG Indestructible Ball. It is a perfect alternative to a tennis ball because of its durability and bounciness. This ball will never pop and is made in the USA!
Best Dog Enrichment Toys
Keeping your dog engaged in other ways is another great training method when discouraging chewing. There are a variety of enrichment dog toys that stimulate your furry friend’s mind and can keep them entertained. Here are a few of our favorite enrichment dog toys:
- Outward Hound Casino Puzzle Game Dog Toy – Hide treats in the different compartments and watch your pup figure out how to get them out. By using their paws & nose, dogs can keep their mind alert with this enrichment toy.
- West Paw Qwizl Tough Treat Dispensing Dog Chew Toy – Not only is this toy extremely durable, it’s also a great mentally stimulating puzzle! Place treats inside the oblong shape and watch your pup work to get them out.
- KONG Stuff a Ball Dog Toy – Your dog will be on the hunt for the treats inside this ball! Keep them busy for hours by stuffing the ball with peanut butter. As an added bonus, all KONG rubber toys are top-rack dishwasher safe.
We hope this long list of best toys for dogs who chew comes in handy. There are so many great options and varieties on the market. As a reminder, not all dog chew toys are indestructible. Be sure to supervise your pup when they are playing and remove the toys if they become unsafe.